The Tax Agents Services Act 2009 requires us to advise you of your rights and obligations where we
are acting for you on taxation matters. In relation to the taxation services provided:
- You are subject to the self-assessment system in relation to any of your income tax returns.
The Commissioner is entitled to rely on any statements made in your income tax returns.
Where those statements are later found to be incorrect, the Commissioner may amend your
income tax assessments and, in addition to any tax assessed, you may also be liable for
penalties and interest charges.
- You have an obligation to keep proper records that will substantiate the taxation returns
prepared and which will satisfy the substantiation requirements of the Income Tax
Assessment Act. Failure to keep such records could result in claims being disallowed,
additional tax being imposed, and the imposition of penalty or general interest charges.
- You are responsible for the accuracy and completeness of the particulars and information
required to comply with the various taxation laws. We will use this information supplied in
the preparation of your returns.
- Your rights as a taxpayer include:
- The right to seek a private ruling;
- The right to object to an assessment by the Commissioner;
- The right to appeal against an adverse decision by the Commissioner.
Certain time limitations may exist for you to exercise these rights. Should you wish to exercise these
rights at any time you should contact us so that we can provide you with the relevant time frames
and to discuss any additional requirements which may exist.